The Ukrainian Parliament passed the law about the impeachment. 245 MPs upheld the bill submitted by President Volodymyr Zelensky.
The text of the document basically confirms the respective provisions of the Constitution of Ukraine. It stipulates that the Parliament will have to vote three times; the first round actually initiates impeachment procedure in case the head of the state is suspected of state treason or another serious crime.
Next, a special investigation committee looks into the case, and the Parliament has to approve its conclusions with 300 votes, which is a constitutional majority. After that, the case is considered at the Constitution and Supreme Courts.
Finally, the impeachment has to be approved by three quarters of all votes in the Parliament. If fails, the Parliament has to apologize before the President. As the impeachment procedure is underway, the president may resign if he chooses to do so.
9 September 2019, 19:51 Normandy peace talks to solve Donbas Conflict to take place in the nearest future
9 September 2019, 19:50 Prisoner swap: Russia and Ukraine each released 35 detainees on Saturday
4 September 2019, 20:13 Svitolina to face Serena Williams in US Open semifinals
4 September 2019, 20:11 Ukraine’s Parliament Speaker signs law on lifting parliamentary immunity
3 September 2019, 19:09 Ukraine not to accept inadequate compromise to end conflict in Donbas
2 September 2019, 18:55 Donbas: Russian occupants ignore agreement on dismantling fortifications
- POLITICS 27 January 2020, 16:30 Handziuk case: Ukraine asks Bulgaria to extradite suspect Levin
- FINANCE 27 January 2020, 16:47 Ukraine completes issuance of ten-year Eurobonds, - Ministry of Finance
- SOCIETY 27 January 2020, 16:11 Nearly 4,000 people killed in road accidents over last year, - Ukraine's Infrastructure Minister
- POLITICS 27 January 2020, 15:10 Authorities of Russian delegation litigated in PACE
- SOCIETY 27 January 2020, 12:38 Ukraine’s Security Council sets up group to monitor, analyze spread of coronavirus