On May 29, Ukrainian media reported that Russian journalist Arkadiy Babchenko was shot dead in Kyiv. The first reports said that the critically wounded man passed away in the ambulance. According to the police, the message came in from Babchenko's wife who found him lying on the floor with the gunshot wound to his back.
The operatives and forensics arrived on the crime scene.
The Ukrainian police immediately said there was a Russian trail in the murder.
In May 30, Ukraine’s state security service, the SBU, revealed that Babchenko is alive. The reporter himself entered the briefing room in Kyiv as the head of the SBU told the press that the Ukrainian side faked his death.
Thus, the secret operation, the attempt on his life, ordered by the Russian special service failed.
- UKRAINE CRISIS 15:17, 25 June Donbas militants continue to hold 113 Ukrainian hostages, - Security Service
- POLITICS 13:41, 25 June Russia’s Federal Penitentiary Service recognizes Sentsov as citizen of Ukraine
- UKRAINE CRISIS 14:27, 25 June 3,224 prisoners released from occupied territories since beginning of Donbas Conflict
- POLITICS 11:51, 25 June PACE to hold debates on Ukrainian political prisoners in Russia on June 28
- RUSSIA 14:42, 25 June Nord Stream 2 construction: Denmark intentionally drags time, Russia says