President Petro Poroshenko signed the law that foresees cutting the excise taxes on the cars with EU license plates that are cleared from customs. The bill also foresees more control over the movement and the use of cars with foreign registration.
The president called passing the law 'a tough middle ground between the state and the actual car owners - between those who accepted the taxes for granted and those who only got the chance to prove themselves as decent taxpayers'.
The government's decision to cut the excise taxes outraged the owners of EU-imported cars in Ukraine; they gathered protest rallies and blocked the roadways in various regions of Ukraine.
Poroshenko asked the car owners to abstain from protest actions. 'There's no army, no road construction, and no education without taxes. It's the taxpayers who develop the state - not the presidents, neither the governments nor lawmakers,' he stressed.
23 November 2018, 19:23 Parliament approves Ukraine’s state budget 2019
22 November 2018, 20:21 Visually impaired volunteer knits 1,500 pairs of gloves for Ukrainian military
22 November 2018, 20:12 Yevhen Marchuk to replace Leonid Kuchma in Minsk Talks group
16 November 2018, 17:50 Russian militants destroy two living houses in Pivdenne, Donetsk region
16 November 2018, 17:47 Ukraine arrests ships near occupied Crimea, Russia outraged
14 November 2018, 21:34 First snow in Kyiv causes traffic jams, road accidents
- UKRAINE TOP 16 December 2018, 20:42 Martial law will not be extended unless large-scale Russian invasion of Ukraine begins, - Poroshenko
- SPORT 16 December 2018, 15:56 Ukrainian swimmer Mykhailo Romanchuk wins gold at World Championships in China
- UKRAINE TOP 16 December 2018, 16:43 Ukrainian border guard missing on border with Moldova found dead
- UKRAINE TOP 16 December 2018, 19:56 President instructs to check all civil servants for presence of relatives with Russian citizenship
- UKRAINE TOP 16 December 2018, 18:19 Tomos about autocephalous Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be solemnly presented on Christmas Eve