The membership of Ukraine in the European Union stopped being hypothetical – it is a matter of time that should be solved until the end of the current decade. Such predictions were announced at the meeting chaired by President Volodymyr Zelensky on the strategy of European and Euro-Atlantic integration as the President’s Office reported.
The following issues were discussed during the meeting:
- implementation of the Association Agreement between Ukraine and the European Union, its renewal;
- integration of Ukraine to the markets of the EU and Digital Single Market of the EU;
- Euro-integration and achievement of main criteria toward the attainment of full membership in NATO, synchronization with the European Green course;
- formation and promotion of the positive image of Ukraine in the world as a meaningful part of the foreign policy of the state;
- provision of the international support of Ukraine in the restoration of territorial integrity.
The president noted that currently, Ukraine is an authoritative and responsible member of the international society; it provides a meaningful contribution to the provision of global and regional security and stability, actively involved in the counteraction of new challenges and threats.
Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba, in his turn, promised within his authorities to deal with the protection of rights and interests of Ukraine abroad, preservation of national identity, provision of external-economic interests of the state through economic diplomacy.
In January 2021, the heads of the EU institutions reminded the Ukrainian leadership that a comprehensive revision of the Ukraine-EU Association Agreement would begin this year.
As we reported earlier, Prime Minister Denys Shmygal and President of the European Council Charles Michel discussed the implementation of the Ukraine-EU Association Agreement during their meeting on the eve of the meeting of the EU-Ukraine Association Council.