The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine has adopted bill #6078 on the illegitimacy of the elections to the State Duma of the Russian Federation in 2021. 322 MPs supported the bill.
You can watch the plenary meeting HERE.
OF THE VERKHOVNA RADA
on the illegitimacy of the elections of the lawmakers of the State Duma of the Russian Federation in 2021.
On September 17-19, 2021, another election of the lawmakers of the State Duma of the Russian Federation took place. This election process was illegally spread to the territory of Ukraine temporarily occupied by the Russian Federation – the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and Sevastopol city. Moreover, the citizens of Ukraine were illegally involved in these elections – the citizens of the temporarily occupied part of the Donetsk and Luhansk region with illegally issued Russian passports.
It is almost the first time ever, Russia as one of the states-members of the OSCE did not provide the proper conditions of work of the Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE/ODIHR) that made impossible the observation over the election process to the State Duma of the Russian Federation by the representatives of the international mission of the OSCE in accordance with the democratic standards.
The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine draws the attention to such aspects of the organization and holding of pseudo-voting in the temporarily occupied territory of Ukraine and involvement in it of the citizens of Ukraine in the territories of Ukraine temporarily occupied by the Russian Federation:
- Inclusion of the citizens of Ukraine in the lists of voters in the elections of the MPs of the State Duma of the Russian Federation in 2021 is illegal and baseless from the point of view of the Constitution of Ukraine and the international law as the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and Sevastopol city are an integral part of Ukraine and enforcement of the citizens of Crimea and temporary occupied Donetsk and Luhansk regions to obtain the citizenship of the Russian Federation is the violation of the international humanitarian law;
- The organization of the voting in Crimea and involvement of the citizens of Ukraine with illegally issued Russian passports in the temporarily occupied part of Donetsk and Luhansk regions is null and void as the lists of voters used for the election of the MPs of the State Duma of the Russian Federation in 2021 illegally and groundlessly included the citizens of temporary occupied territories of Ukraine that led to the falsification of the lists of voters;
- The process of formation of the so-called “lists of voters” in Crimea and separate areas of Donetsk and Luhansk regions for voting in the election of the MPs of the State Duma of the Russian Federation in 2021 also has the signs of another violation of the paragraphs of the international humanitarian law by Russia toward the ban of the transfer of the population of the state-occupant to occupied territories of another state, considering the uncontrolled process of the crossing of the internationally recognized border of Ukraine by the citizens of Russia.
The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine reminds,
- that the temporary occupation of Crimea and separate areas of Donetsk and Luhansk regions by Russia is a blatant violation of the ultimate norms and principles of the international law, including the Charter of the UN, Helsinki Accords, Budapest Memorandum, as well as numerous international agreements, which side is Russia,
- that the territorial integrity of Ukraine within its internationally recognized borders is conformed by the resolutions of the UNGA А/RES/68/262 dated 27.03.2014, А/RES/71/205 dated 19.12.2016, А/RES/72/190 dated 19.12.2017, А/RES/73/194 dated 17.12.2018, А/RES/73/263 dated 22.12.2018, А/RES/74/17 dated 09.12.2019, А/RES/74/168 dated 18.12.2019, А/RES/75/29 dated 07.12.2020, and А/RES/75/192 dated 28.12.2020,
- that observation of the Helsinki Accords is the basis for support of the international peace and security.
The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine recognizes the election of the MPs of the State Duma of the Russian Federation in 2021 as illegal, and State Duma formed on the results of it – illegitimate and urges the parliaments of foreign states and international parliamentary organizations to provide the proper estimation to falsified parliamentary elections in Russia on facts of the illicit voting in the territory of illegally occupied Autonomous Republic of Crimea and Sevastopol, as well as participation in the elections of the citizens of Ukraine from temporarily occupied by Russia parts of Donetsk and Luhansk regions.
The elections to the bodies of power, as well as to the State Duma, took place in Russia on September 17, 18, and 19. The voting was also held in occupied Crimea. The Foreign Ministry of Ukraine called the elections in Crimea to be a violation of international law and promised to assume measures.
Soon, chairman of the HRC commission on international cooperation in the field of human rights Kirill Vyshinsky stated that over 150,000 residents of the temporarily occupied territories of Donetsk and Luhansk regions took part in the elections to the State Duma of Russia.
Besides, Russia opened the polling stations in Transnistria. The Moldovan Foreign Ministry stated it regrets such action.