Hatred of people of Jewish origin will be punished in Ukraine. The relevant bill №5109 was adopted by the Verkhovna Rada in the second reading and in general. 283 parliamentarians voted for the initiative.
According to the document, anti-Semitism in Ukraine is a certain attitude towards people of Jewish origin, which is expressed in hatred towards them.
The law prescribes the following main manifestations of anti-Semitism:
- denial of the right to self-identification of persons of Jewish origin;
- calling for, concealing or justifying the killing or harm of persons of Jewish descent, including through radical ideological beliefs or extremist religious views;
- making false, stereotypical, hateful and offensive statements about people of Jewish origin;
- public statements relating to the condemnation of persons of Jewish origin as collectively responsible for actual or imagined offenses committed by one person or group of persons, regardless of ethnic origin or religion;
- denial of the persecution and mass extermination of Jews during World War II (Holocaust);
- production, distribution of any materials containing anti-Semitic statements, as well as public use of materials, symbols and images of anti-Semitic content;
- intentional damage to or destruction of buildings, other structures belonging to persons of Jewish origin, Jewish communities and public Jewish organizations, as well as religious buildings on the grounds of anti-Semitism;
- intentional damage, destruction or desecration of burial places of persons of Jewish origin, monuments, memorials dedicated to persons of Jewish origin on the grounds of anti-Semitism;
- manifestations of anti-Semitism towards persons of non-Jewish origin, who have been identified as persons of Jewish origin;
- calls for anti-Semitism.
Persons guilty of violating the requirements of this law shall bear civil, administrative and criminal liability in accordance with the law.
In addition, a person has the right to compensation for material damage and moral damage caused to them as a result of anti-Semitism, its manifestations in the manner prescribed by the legislation of Ukraine.
This law shall enter into force on the day following the day of its publication.
Anti-Semitism is one of the forms of national and religious intolerance and discrimination, which is expressed in hostility towards Jewish persons as representatives of a personified ethnic and religious group; public or state ideology, or state policy aimed at restricting the political and social rights of Jewish persons.