Ukraine celebrates the Day of Ukrainian Naval Forces. This year, it is marked on July 4.
For the first time ever, the Day of Ukrainian Naval Forces was celebrated on August 1, 1997. This day often occurred on working days and violated the fleet traditions. Meanwhile, such data was chosen not by accident, exactly on this day, the former vessels of the Black Sea Fleet of the Soviet Navy entered the structure of the Naval Forces of Ukraine and solemnly raised the military-naval flags of Ukraine.
In March 2006, then-President Viktor Yushchenko changed the situation rescheduling the celebration for the first Sunday of July by his order.
Later, the holiday was canceled in fact by President Viktor Yanukovych. Instead of this, the Day of the Fleet of Ukraine was celebrated on the last Sunday of July.
The Day of the Naval Forces as a separate holiday was restored by then-President Petro Poroshenko on June 12, 2015. Now, it is again celebrated on the first Sunday of July.
The structure of the Naval Forces of Ukraine includes:
- surface forces;
- submarine forces;
- marine aviation;
- coastal defense.
The tasks of the Naval Forces are the next:
- containment, localization, and neutralization of the armed conflicts and in case of the necessity – rebuff of the military aggression from the sea;
- support of the stability in the Black Sea region within the international Blackseafor project;
- participation in the fight against international and inner terrorism and piracy;
- resistance to illicit transportation of weapons and drugs by the marine passage;
- search and rescue in the sea;
- fulfillment of tasks on environmental safety in the marine space;
- participation in peacekeeping and humanitarian operations.