Today, Ukraine celebrates the Air Force Day of the Armed Forces of Ukraine. This holiday is marked on the first Sunday of August month and this year it occurs on August 1.
The Air Force Day was established in 2007 by the order of President Viktor Yushchenko and it recognizes the importance of the Air Forces of Ukraine in the provision of the defensive capacity of the state.
According to the adopted concept of reform and development of the Air Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, they should have air and anti-air components that split into:
- aviation (pursuit, bombardment, assault, reconnaissance, military and transport, and special);
- air defense (anti-air and radio-radar troops);
- special troops (detached military units and subunit: reconnaissance, engineering, radiation-chemical protection, communication, meteorological support and others);
- units of material and technical and medical provision;
- education facilities.
The main tasks of the Air Forces of Ukraine:
- occupation of advantage in the air;
- coverage of force groupings and objects from hostile strikes from the air;
- aviation support of the Ground Forces and provision of combat actions of the Naval Forces;
- airborne assault landing and fight against assault forces of the enemy on the ground and in the air;
- holding of airborne reconnaissance;
- holding of air transfer of forces and supply;
- destruction and elimination of military, military and industrial, energy objects, kits, and communications of the enemy.