The State Investigation Bureau (SIB) has finished the pretrial investigation on the case of crash of An-26 military aircraft in Chuhuiv that occurred on September 25, 2020, and established the reasons for the tragedy as the SIB reported.
“The SIB needed less than eight months to get into the reasons for the tragedy that claimed lives of 26 military men of the Armed Forces of Ukraine,” Head of the SIB investigative department Vadym Pryimachok noted.
The investigation has established the next main reasons for the tragedy:
- Illicit admission to the flights of students as members of the crew, while they did not finish the proper preparation program;
- Illicit provision of permission by head of the flights for boarding and take-off of An-26 by conveying method;
- Non-provision by the head of the flights of the real help to the unprepared crew during the engine breakdown;
- Issuance of documents that allow exercises not provided by the management of the flying exploitation of An-26 planes that did not provide safety of flights;
- Systematic organization of flights with a large number of students aboard;
- Illicit permission for flights at night without the necessary qualification of the commander of the crew.
The investigator underlined that the main reason for tragedy is illicit permission for the take-off of An-26 by conveying method.
“Due to the fact that the take-off took place by conveying method, the mentioned breakdown could not be detected by the crew in time; it was detected at the stage of take-off when the speed did not allow to land as it could lead to unfathomable consequences,” Pryimachok noted.
According to him, the actions of suspects on organization and holding of training flying with students, in fact, aimed for the economy of time of flights and fuel as it was insufficient for education needs.
The pretrial investigation established persons, who committed criminal offenses, are in cause-and-effect link with the catastrophe.
Particularly, six persons are prosecuted:
- Commander of the Air Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine;
- Head of Kharkiv Air Force University named after Ivan Kozhedub;
- Commander of A4104 military unit;
- Deputy Commander of A4104 military unit;
- Deputy Commander of the military unit on flight education;
- Head of flight management on September 25, 2020, at Chuhuiv aerodrome”.
As we reported earlier, on September 25, 2020, at about 20:50 near the military airport of Chuhuiv, Kharkiv region, a military aircraft AN-26 fell and caught fire. None of those aboard the plane survived the crash.
Rescue work was carried out by 70 people of the State Emergency Situations Service. According to preliminary estimates of flight safety specialists, one of the sensors in the left engine of the aircraft failed.
The State Bureau of Investigations notified Ukraine's Air Force Commander-in-Chief Serhiy Drozdov of suspicion with negligence, which led to the tragedy of An-26 aircraft in the Kharkiv region in September.
Notification letters of suspicion were also handed over to the flight dispatcher of Chuguiv airfield, and to the unit commander who approved the flight plan that contained violations.