November 28, the deputies considered the draft decision “On cancellation of the decision of Zaporizhia City Council,” which intended to cancel the following decisions:
- “On providing Russian language with a regional status”;
- “On rebroadcasting Russian TV channels in Zaporizhia cable systems”;
- “On protection of the rights of Zaporizhia residents for information” (2008);
- “To create the conditions for the further development of Russian language in Zaporizhia” (2007);
- “On carrying out a survey on the regional status of the Russian language in Zaporizhia”.
22 deputies supported the draft decision, nobody voted “against”, 19 have abstained. 33 votes were required to adopt the decision.
Earlier we reported that the status of Ukraine's state language will be endorsed over the course of the next ten years when the government implements the respective program.
On February 28, 2018, the Constitutional Court of Ukraine produced a ruling in regards to whether the law “On the principles of the state language policy” #5029-VI (the so-called “Kolesnychenko-Kivalov” law).
The Law "On the Principles of language policy" was submitted to the Verkhovna Rada by MPs Vadym Kolesnichenko and Serhiy Kivalov. According to the law, the language of the Verkhovna Rada and acts of public authorities, is Ukrainian. When it comes to the language of elections, referendums, science, and education - the focus is on the human right to freely use any language.