The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine appealed to the NATO Parliamentary Assembly, the parliaments of NATO countries with an urge to formally begin the individual dialogue of the recommendations and practical support, which means the Action Plan on Ukraine’s membership in NATO. The MPs supported draft law #10007 by 243 votes, as 112 Ukraine reported.
The Verkhovna Rada ordered to adopt such appeal to the leaders of NATO countries, North Atlantic Alliance and NATO PA, national parliaments of NATO states:
The Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine
- welcoming the approaching of the 70th anniversary of the signing of the North Atlantic Treaty, which will take place on April 4, 2019;
- noting the pivotal role of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) in the protection of peace and security in Euroatlantic space;
- emphasizing the great importance of the North Atlantic Alliance for the support of global peace and security and spread of the values and principles of democracy and civilized international relations in the world;
- expressing confidence in the necessity of strengthening of the policy and NATO role, development of the defense capacities of the Organization and its further extension;
- noting sharp increase of threats of Euroatlantic and global security due to aggressive actions of the Russian Federation, which deliberately violates the basic principles of the international right, performs armed aggression against Ukraine and temporary occupation of parts of its territory, provides the threat to neighboring states and assumes attempts to interfere in the internal affairs of the states-members of the Alliance and disruption of their security;
- appreciating historical solidarity of the North Atlantic Alliance with Ukraine in counteraction the Russian aggression;
- noting the intention of Ukraine to acquire NATO membership (enshrined at Constitution of Ukraine);
- drawing attention to NATO Summit Declaration in Bucharest on April 3, 2008, which states the prospect of Ukraine’s membership in NATO and emphasized support of the application on the Action Plan on the membership;
- emphasizing that use of the Action Plan played the positive mobilizing role in the implementation of the transformations of aspirate-state;
- sharing positive evaluations of the official NATO representatives and states-members of the Alliance toward the progress in the reforming of defense and security sector of Ukraine, democratic transformation and fulfillment and approaching to the criteria and standards of NATO;
- basing on the unity of the positions on the NATO membership among the national and democratic political forces, which express the will of the majority of the Ukrainians;
1. states that particular partnership between Ukraine and NATO has undergone deep quality changes and demands a new form of the institutional dialogue since the Revolution of Dignity.
2. appeals to the North Atlantic Council and NATO PA, national parliaments of the NATO states with the request to support the intention of Ukraine to acquire NATO membership.
3. urges leaders of NATO-states to adopt (at the anniversary Alliance’s summit in London in December 2019) the decision, which will develop the points of NATO Bucharest Summit and formally begins the individual dialogue of the recommendations and practical support with our state, which will make Action Plan on Ukraine’s membership in NATO.
The regulation comes into force as it is adopted.
As we reported, Ukraine’s Parliament adopted a bill No. 9037 on amendments to the Constitution on Ukraine’s foreign policy on EU and NATO membership. 334 MPs voted “for” the document.
According to the bill, the President of Ukraine is the guarantor of the implementation of the strategic course of the state towards Ukraine’s full membership in the EU and NATO. In its turn, the Cabinet of Ministers provides the implementation of the strategic course of the state towards Ukraine’s full membership in the EU and NATO.