Observers of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine recorded 755 blasts in Donetsk and Luhansk regions during August 18-20. A total of 460 explosions were recorded in Donetsk region during this period of time and 295 - in Luhansk region. This was reported by the mission.
“In Donetsk region between the evenings of 18 and 19 August, the SMM recorded more ceasefire violations, – including, however, fewer explosions (about 60) – compared with the previous 24 hours (about 70 explosions). Between the evenings of 19 and 20 August, it recorded more ceasefire violations, including almost 330 explosions, compared with the previous 24 hours,” the message says.
“In Luhansk region between the evenings of 18 and 19 August, the SMM recorded fewer ceasefire violations, including about 40 explosions, compared with the previous 24 hours (about 115 explosions). Between the evenings of 19 and 20 August, it recorded more ceasefire violations, including over 140 explosions, compared with the previous 24 hours,” according to the report.
“On 20 August the SMM followed up on a report, received from a “DPR” member, of civilian casualties registered earlier in the afternoon of Donetsk city’s Petrovskyi district (15km south-west of city centre). In front of Hospital no. 14 in Donetsk city, the Mission saw a covered body being placed into a morgue vehicle. Inside the hospital, the SMM saw a man (aged 46) with a bandage on his right elbow; he told the Mission that he had been hit by shrapnel when an explosion had occurred in the yard of a house where he and other members of a fire brigade had been attempting to extinguish a fire. He said that the explosion had also killed one of his co-workers and injured another,” OSCE SMM reported.
The SMM continued to monitor the disengagement process and to pursue full access to the disengagement areas near Stanytsia Luhanska), Zolote (60km west of Luhansk) and Petrivske as foreseen in the Framework Decision of the Trilateral Contact Group relating to disengagement of forces and hardware of 21 September 2016. The SMM’s access remained restricted but the Mission was able to partially monitor them.
As it was reported earlier 24/7 OSCE patrol started working in Stanytsia Luhanska. Seven members of the mission will stay at the base 24/7.