Group of 49 members of the Ukrainian Parliament turned to the Constitutional Court of Ukraine with a request to admit the decision of the Ukrainian Parliament on the appeal to the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine. This decision puts sanctions against 112 Ukraine and NewsOne TV channels unconstitutional, reads the message of the press office of the court.
‘On November 1, 2018, the Constitutional Court of Ukraine received the constitutional submission from 49 lawmakers of Ukraine regarding the compliance of the Constitution of Ukraine (constitutionality) with the resolution of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine "On approval of proposals for the application of personal special economic and other restrictive measures (sanctions) of October 4, 2018 № 2589 –VIII,’ the press office of the court claimed.
A number of MPs from the Opposition Bloc party signed the submission to the Constitutional Court of Ukraine; among them are Yuriy Boyko, Oleksandr Vilkul, Dmytro Dobkin, Mykhailo Dobkin, Vadym Novynskyi. Oleksandr Abdullin, member of All-Ukrainian Union "Fatherland" has also signed the document.
Earlier, the parliament stated that 'there are systematic signs of imitation of discourse practices of Russian imperial- chauvinistic propaganda in the activity of a number of legal entities, permanent demonstration of propaganda and spreading of the ideology of terrorism'.
The Verkhovna Rada has ordered to offer the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine to introduce sanctions against Ariadna TV LLC, Novy Format LLC, TV Vybir LLC,112-TV Television and Radio Broadcasting Company, Lider TV LLC, Partner TV LLC, Novyny 24 Chasa LLC.
The sanctions offered are the following:
- To freeze assets;
- to prevent offshoring the funds abroad
- to suspend fulfillment of economic and financial commitments;
- to cancel or suspend licenses and other permissions to broadcast;
- to ban the use of radio frequency resources of Ukraine;
- to limit or cease the provision of TV and communication service and the use of shareware TV communication networks;
- to ban making deals with financial credit documents, emitted by entities sanctioned by the government under the Law on Sanctions;
- to prohibit the issuance of permissions and National Bank licenses for investments into a foreign country, placements of the currency in the accounts on the foreign country's territory;
- to stop issuing permissions and licenses to bring currency assets in or out of Ukraine, and the limitation of currency withdrawal from the salary cards, emitted by the residents of a foreign country;
- to ban passing the technologies, rights for objects of the intellectual property right;
- to cease the cultural exchange, scientific cooperation, contacts in education and sport and the entertainment programs with foreign states and foreign entities;
- other sanctions, which meet the principles of use, foreseen by the Law on Sanctions.
A petition on prevention of suppression of freedom of speech in Ukraine imposition of sanctions against 112 Ukraine and NewsOne can be found on the website of our President.
The staff of 112 Ukraine TV channel insists that the steps made by the Ukrainian Parliament, which aim to apply sanctions against 112 Ukraine TV channel are nothing but a political decision; there is not enough evidence to make such decision, which badly lacks argumentation and may be considered unconstitutional.