Oleg Mamiyev, the commander of 15th international brigade with a code name 'Mamai' was killed in the industrial zone of Avdiivka, Donbas.
According to Russian writer Zakhar Prilepin, 'Mamai' died in the result of the explosion of the grenade fired from an automatic grenade launcher.
We have gathered everything that is known about the killed mercenary.
Militant from North Ossetia
- A 40-year-old Oleg Mamiyev was one of the first 'Russian volunteers' as he confessed in the interview to the Russian title.
- He came to Donbas at the end of April 2014 from North Ossetia.
- He participated in the 'five-day' war in South Ossetia.
- Initially, he entered Vostok (East) battalion headed by Aleksandr Khodakovsky.
- He also headed 15th international brigade and replaced Akhra Avidzba (the code name 'Abkhaz').
- He is one of the founders of the so-called 'Donbas Volunteers Union'.
The Donetsk People's Republic claims that 'Mamai' died in the result of the attack of Ukraine's Armed Forces, getting the shrapnel wounds of the head, chest and stomach.
Other killed commanders of the militants
Oleg Mamiyev is not the first and only commander of the pro-Russian militants' battalions and groups killed in Donbas. A lot of notable deaths took place before his.
In August 2014, Russian Aleksandr Stefanovsky, the commander of the intelligence-diversionary group of 'Zaria' battalion was liquidated near Luhansk.
In January 2015, Aleksandr Bednov, the commander of 'Batman' battalion was killed.
In March 2015, Roman Voznik, the commander of 'Mirazh' unit was shot.
In May 2015, Aleksey Mozgovoi, the commander of 'Prizrak' battalion was killed.
In December 2015, Pavel Driomov, the commander of 'Stakhanov Cossacks Self-Defense' was blown up.
In October 2016, Arseny Pavlov 'Motorola', the commander of 'Sparta' was killed.
In February 2017, Oleg Anashchenko, the Head of People's Militia of Luhansk People's Republic was blown up.
In May 2017, Vladimir Tsviakh, the commander of 'Hooligan' battalion was killed.
In February 2017, Mikhail Tolsykh, 'Givi', the commander of 'Somalia' battalion was killed.
What is next?
According to Prilepin, 'Mamai's' body will be sent to the place from where he came from – North Ossetia.