All the details on Kalynivka as of 2:00 p.m., September 27, 2017:
- The fire started at about 10:00 p.m. on September 26. Police of Vinnytsia, Zhytomyr and Khmelnitsk regions were on high alert.
- The General Staff of Ukraine’s Armed Forces reported that 10% of the arsenal area was on fire.
- According to the open source data, 188,000 tons of ammunition is stored in the arsenal. The area of the arsenal is about 60 hectares. Vinnytsia regional administration states there are 83,000 tons.
- As of 10:00 a.m. 28,5 thousand people are already evacuated from the area of the incident on the arsenal. 20 thousand of them are evacuating themselves, 180 people from the Central regional hospital are also evacuated. The Vinnytsia regional administration reports 26 thousand people evacuated.
- The persons evacuated are accommodated in the Vinnytsya regional hospital and in the schools of the region center, Vinnytsia.
- Police state that there were no facts of pillage spotted, the streets are being patrolled by 239 policemen.
- Ukraine’s Prime-Minister Volodymyr Groysman stated that the radius of damage is 5 km.
- De-miners began clearing the territory around the arsenal.
- The airspace within a radius of 50 km from the fire zone has already been closed by the decision of Ukraerocenter.
- Ukraine’s Cabinet of Ministers allocated 3,8 million dollars to eliminate fire in Kalynivka of Vinnytsia region.
- 15 thousand people are cut off gas supply.
- Six residential houses on fire were put down.
- President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko convenes a military cabinet.
- Chief of Armament of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Mykola Shevtsov denied the information about the congestion of the arsenal in Kalynivka of Vinnytsia region.
It was also reported that ammunition depot in Kalynivka was loaded for 57%. The underground storages and cover positions remained intact. Secretary of Minister of Defense of Ukraine Yury Biryukov said this in Facebook. 'The underground storages and cover positions remained intact. Some part of the open areas are also intact', he noted.
- Ammunition fell in ten meters from the large fuel tank. This is how Kalynivka looks like after explosions at armament depot. Six buildings were destroyed in the result of the hit of the ammunitions. Many roofs, walls and windows of the buildings were destroyed by the shrapnel. Particularly, all windows were broke out at the sport hall of the local school. The ammunition also hit the parked cars.
- Vinnytsia city council refuted the information about chemical and radiation air pollution. The State Emergency Service called the information about pollution fake.
“According to operative duty officers of the department of civil defense of Vinnytsia regional administration, and Head Department of The State Emergency Service of Ukraine, the chemical, ecological and radiation situation is normal,” the statement says.
- Anti-terrorist drills were halted in Vinnytsia due to fire in Kalynivka. A lot of detachments of the law enforcement agencies should take part in the drills. The department added that the SBU informed the population about the holding of the planned training with the representatives of the SBU, National Police, National Guard, State Emergency Service, Armed Forces of Ukraine, Border Guards, bodies of authority and self-government and the detachments of the territorial defense before the beginning of it.
As we reported earlier, one of the biggest ammunition depots in Ukraine is on fire since 10:00 p.m., September 26. Thousands of people from Kalynivka and other nearby villages had to get evacuated, many of them using their own transport. Volunteers were posting to social networks for the whole night offering help and providing new details on the explosions.