The President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko stated that he was ashamed of having promised to end combat actions in Donbas with a short period of time, as he said at the press conference in Kyiv on December 16, broadcasted by 112 Ukraine.
“I am ashamed and I apologized for giving false hopes concerning the terms of the end of the war. I think that quite a few could predict the scale of the Russian Armed Forces operation in Ukraine. One can find thousands of explanations, hundreds of justifications, but this is a mistake. I can apologize before the Ukrainians again. Besides, I would like all the politicians to treat their promises responsible, including the pre-election ones,” Poroshenko said.
Earlier, President Poroshenko apologized for having raised the expectations of Ukrainians too high, saying that Anti-terrorist operation in Donbas would last for hours, not months.
As it was reported, in 2014, before his victory at the presidential elections, Petro Poroshenko said that ATO could not last for months. He supported changing of ATO format.
“ATO cannot last for two months, it has to last for a couple of hours. No peaceful dialogue with the terrorists. I will never let such terrorist acts occur in Ukraine,” Poroshenko said.
Besides, it should be noted that ATO format was replaced with the Joint Forces Operation format on April 30, 2018. According to the legislation, Joint Operation HQ has been controling the operation instead of Ukraine’s Security Service since then.