The deadly march of the Chinese coronavirus rages on in Europe. Most of the victims are observed in Italy; as of early March 20, the number of the dead exceeded 3,400. In these terms, Italy already surpassed China where the virus originated from.
Pope Francis left Vatican to make the walking prayer to support Romans and the rest of citizens.
French perfume production concern LVMH announced it begins to manufacture sanitizing gel for hand care; the production will be taking place at three French factories. The gel products will replace usual perfume products made by Christian Dior, Guerlain and Givenchy companies.
Russia, with at least 59 confirmed cases of Covid-19, closed the border with Belarus.
The EU closed the entrance to Schengen area, and temporarily shut down the border – for 30 days.
The WHO reported that the trial of the vaccine against coronavirus has officially begun.
No more cases of infection are observed in Wuhan since March 19.
Bono, the renowned lead singer of U2 rock band has released a new song. It appears to be the tribute to Italians and all the rest who currently stay in the lockdown.
Emergency situation in Ukraine
As of 22:00 on March 20 in Ukraine, 39 cases of infection with the coronavirus Covid-19 were recorded. Three infected died.
In Kyiv, Vinnytsia, Dnipro, Cherkasy and the Yampolsky district, national guardsmen will conduct restrictive quarantine measures
The citizen of Chernivtsi recovered from coronavirus in Ukraine. He passed the test, which showed the negative result for Covid-19
Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau held a phone talk, during which the Canadian side promised to assist Ukraine in the fight against Covid-19
Emergency mode inside the country:
- There's an emergency situation mode in three regions of Ukraine as of March 20 - Chernivtsi, Zhytomyr and Kyiv regions.
- Kyiv City Administration also introduced an emergency situation.
- Ukraine to temporarily suspended operation of subway on March 18.
- Public transport use may further also be restricted in Kyiv.
Closed borders and evacuation:
- Ukraine ceased air and railway connection with other countries Since March 17.
- 57 flights are carried out, with which 11.5 thousand citizens will be returned to Ukraine
- Ukraine has agreed with Hungary and Poland on transit corridors that Ukrainians can use in order to return home
- China has provided 10 million laboratory сoronavirus tests and 10 artificial lung ventilators to Ukraine. They will arrive in the next 48 hours.
- Ukraine has temporarily suspended the work of border-crossing points with annexed Crimea in order to prevent the spread of Covid-19 coronavirus in Ukraine
One Ukrainian serviceman was killed in action in Donbas this week; several more were injured, as armed gangs of pro-Russian mercenaries continue to attack Ukrainian positions in the Joint Forces Operation area.
The so-called Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) made a decision to close the checkpoints at the contact line in Donbas from March 21, as leader of the militants Denys Pushilin stated.
Ukraine's currency keeps falling
On March 17, the National Bank of Ukraine reported the shortage of cash currency in the banks caused by the increase of the demand of the population for cash currency.
Later, Ukraine’s National Bank stated it has purchased currency in euro and plans to purchase more currency in dollars.
As of March 18, the official rate of hryvnia exchange rate made UAH 27.05 per USD 1. One Euro costs 29.72 Ukrainian hryvnias. And hryvnia rate keeps falling.
A much-anticipated unification bout between Vasyl Lomachenko and Teofimo Lopez will not take place on May 30. According to promoter Bob Arum who represents both of the boxers, there is no sense in holding his bout without spectators.
European football championship will be postponed until the next year’s summer. The competition was supposed to kick off in 12 European cities on June 12. Now, the new estimated date is June 11, 2021.
During one of the press conferences, Ukrainian boxer Oleksandr Usyk asked American journalists to call him “Aleksandr” instead of “Oleksandr”.