Today, on March 13, Ukraine's National Security and Defense Council (NSDC) held a meeting to consider measures on preventing the spread of the coronavirus in Ukraine.
Namely, the issues on closing the borders of Ukraine and ceasing communication with some countries were discussed.
As of now, three cases of coronavirus disease have officially been recorded in Ukraine. One of the cases, a 71-year-old woman, died. Restrictive measures have been introduced throughout the country.
So, here are the key messages.
NSDC Secretary Oleksiy Danylov:
- In 48 hours Ukraine will close its border for foreigners for two weeks;
- Citizens of Ukraine are advised to refrain from traveling abroad;
- Those Ukrainians who are abroad may return;
- However, those Ukrainians who are in countries with an outbreak of coronavirus shall be obliged to undergo observation procedures.
Chief Sanitary Doctor Viktor Lyashko:
- The procurement of necessary medical supplies will take place above the law on public procurement;
- By the end of the week, medical facilities should receive all the things needed for a quality diagnosing;
- A decision was made to use 10 million masks from regional warehouses.
Head of the Presidential Office Andriy Yermak:
- In the coming months, we will return all Ukrainian citizens who are now on the territory of the separate regions of Donetsk and Luhansk regions;
- Consultations regarding three new disengagement areas are underway;
- During the last meeting of the Trilateral Contact Group in Minsk, the members stated the need to create an advisory board;
- It is planned that an advisory board will be created as part of the Trilateral Contact Group political group;
- The purpose of the board is "to give a voice and the opportunity to express position to Ukrainians living in the uncontrolled territory";
- This will NOT create a legal framework for the separate regions of Donetsk and Luhansk regions.The decision has not yet been made. It may be taken at the next meeting in Minsk.