This year, the Day of Kyiv will take place on May 30. The program of the celebration of the establishment of the capital will be more diverse than the last year; however, the quarantine restriction due to the Covid-19 will remain. The events for all tastes and budgets are prepared for citizens; many of them will take place in the open air.
We have gathered for you the most interesting events that are worthy of a visit on Kyiv Day, as well as we tell about the history of the holiday.
History of the holiday
It could be possible to love Kyiv and celebrate the Day of the capital for no reason in particular as we love the banks of Dnipro River, Kyivska perepichka (sausage in pastry), and traffic jams. However, this tradition has a history. The celebration of Kyiv Day has started at the Soviet time right after the 1,500-year jubilee in 1982.
Officially, it was considered that Kyiv was founded in 482. According to the legend, the city was founded by Prince Kyi with brothers Shchek, Khoryv, and sister Lybid. It is believed that the city was named after Kyiv – the eldest brother. The monument to the founders of Kyiv was installed in 1982 at Navodnytsky Park.
The first celebration was loud: concerts at parks, solemn march at Kreshchatyk, and the students in the stands made “alive pictures” at the Republican Stadium (currently, Olympic National Sports Complex). Since then, the capital celebrates the holiday annually. Since 1984, the opening days started to take place at Andriyivskyy Descent; since 1987, the Day of Kyiv is being celebrated officially.
The official year of foundation chosen in the Soviet time is quite conditional. The discussions took place before the choosing of the data and after it. The manuscripts found during the archeological excavations showed even older dates. The age of Kyiv is still an unsolved question.
How celebration will take place in 2021?
The events for any taste are prepared for Kyiv citizens: festival part, tournaments, and competitions. The detailed program for Kyiv Day is published by Kyiv City State Administration.
The annual sports charity project Run under Chestnuts will take place. The celebration has already started on May 25 with a music excursion at Andriyivskyy Descent. Over 150 themed sports, cultural, and entertainment online and offline events are ahead.
Totally, the calendar includes about 50 sports events – tournaments and competitions in different areas of sport. The most interesting are:
- May 29 and 30 – competitions on orienteering “Cup of the capital”. They will take place in a few locations, including National Sanctuary Complex "Kyiv Sophia”.
- May 30 – the Run under Chestnuts will take place. It starts at 09:00 a.m. at Khreschatyk Street; the route goes along Lva Tolstoho Square, Velyka Vasylkivska Street, Saksahanskoho Street, Antonovycha Street, Zhylyanska Street, Shota Rustaveli Street, Saksahanskoho Street and it will end at Maidan Nezalezhnosti. The collected funds will be sent for the purchase of equipment and expended supplies for the Center for Pediatric Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery.
- May 30 – traditionally, the sailing race will start at 08:00 a.m. at Kyiv River Port, near berth #6.
Cinema, exhibitions, and concerts
- May 29 – the 50th-anniversary international cinema festival Molodist (Youth) will start. This year, it takes place from May 29 until June 6 in the hybrid format. Zhovten cinema, Kooperativ Hub, Friendship of Nations Arch, and Kino42 are chosen as offline locations. Babel XX (1980) movie directed by Ukrainian filmmaker Ivan Mykolaichuk will open the festival. You can read more about the festival and buy tickets HERE.
- May 29-30 – Kyiv fan fest will take place at Spivoche. Ruslana, TNMK, Zhadan i Sobaky, Kozak System, Karna, Pyryatyn, Ot Vinta! A will participate in it. Besides, workshops, entertainers for children, rest areas, and zones of food and drink courts will be presented.
- May 30 – the concert of the Go_A band will take place. It presented Ukraine at the Eurovision. It will take place at Vsi.Svoi at 18:00 (Desyatynna Street, 12).
- May 29–June 6 – the exhibition Old Kyiv on postcards will take place at the Kyiv Fortress.
- May 27-June 26 – exhibition Great seven at the Kyiv History Museum will take place. The works of seven Ukrainian artists will be presented: Taras Shevchenko, Kazemir Malevich, Oleksandr Arkhipenko, Heorhiy Narbut, Mykhailo Boychuk, Maria Prymachenko, and Anatolii Kryvolap.
- May 29-30 – the fair of folk art dedicated to Kyiv Day at Ivan Honchar Museum. It will work from 12:00 until 19:00. The program includes workshops on pottery, weaving on machines, and the creation of traditional music instruments. Besides, about 50 folk masters will present their works.
- May 28-30 – River rave festival of electronic music that will take place at the industrial zone of Vyshhorod.
- May 29-30 – the festival of Georgian wine and culture Kartuli Fest will take place at the Expo Center of Ukraine. The program includes the concerts of Georgian dance bands, fair of the national cuisine, and numerous taste tests of Georgian wines, brandy, and Chacha.
- May 28-June 13 – the exhibition Well-trodden ties will take place at the National Oleksandr Dovzhenko Centr.
- May 30 – Retro Cruise starts at 14:00 with a tea party at Mariinsky Palace. Trio Urban Gypsy concert and the jazz concert will entertain the guests. Besides, the competition for the best outfits among the guests will be held.
The flower exhibition will be opened at Peremoha Park, Darnytsia district, on the Day of Kyiv. It will consist of the figures of Angry Birds, the Smurfs, SpongeBob SquarePants, Shaun the Sheep, and the Octonauts.