On Wednesday, September 25, President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky met with US President Donald Trump. There are key points of the two presidents' talks.
- Zelensky started the conversation with a joke and said that it is better when a conversation is broadcasted immediately on television than when it is a conversation on the phone.
"It is a great pleasure to meet the President, be here, and even better - talk in front of television cameras than talk on the phone", - Zelensky said.
Zelensky then invited Trump to visit Ukraine. In response, Trump said he would try and added that he knew many wonderful people from Ukraine.
- Zelensky: Thank you for your support right now, at the time when there are two wars in Ukraine: one war on corruption, in which we will definitely win, and my priority is to end the war in the Donbas and return our territories (Donbas and Crimea).
- Trump: Ukraine and other countries (France, Germany) should be much more supportive. I think they should feel guilty, they don't do what they were supposed to do.
- Volodymyr Zelensky believes that the joint efforts of the EU and the US can help stop the war in Donbas.
"We understand that only together with the EU and the US can help stop the war in the Donbas", - he said at a meeting with US President Donald Trump.
Zelensky added that Ukraine needs not just "help but support".
- Trump noted that the US will expand trade with Ukraine.
"You have (in Ukraine - ed.) excellent production. We will trade with you, we will expand the trade with Ukraine", - Trump said.
- Trump: I am informed that you have made some progress in relations with Russia in a short period of time. I wish you to end this sooner.
"I hope you and President Putin can come together and solve all the problems", - Trump said, addressing Zelensky.
- Volodymyr Zelensky, when asked by journalists in New York to comment on whether he was pressed in a telephone conversation by Donald Trump, said he did not want to interfere in the US elections.
“I think that you read everything. I think you read the content of our conversation. Sorry, but I do not want to be involved in open democratic elections in the US. You heard that we had a good telephone conversation, in my opinion, it was normal, we talked on several topics, and I think, and you read that, in principle, nobody pushed me", - said Zelensky.
Trump, for his part, added that the record had been made public and anyone could see that there was no pressure.
Yesterday, Donald Trump allowed the White House to release a transcript of its conversation with Volodymyr Zelensky in July. A number of US media outlets have leaked information about a phone call that threatened Trump with impeachment.
Volodymyr Zelensky: Prosecutor General of Ukraine should investigate any cases, not particular ones.
"I said we were ready to investigate. Ukraine is an independent country, we have a new Ruslan Riaboshapka, a very good honest man, a “Westerner", with an education, with Western experience. Will he consider it? He should consider any cases. What can he do here? What is he going to promise me? Pardon me, but we have our own country and we have many more important issues - these are matters that are important for every Ukrainian - the cases of Ilovaysk, Maidan, and corruption. You know what he (Riaboshapka) is working on", - said Zelensky.
- After the conversation, Zelensky said that he had spoken to Trump about fighting corruption. In addition, the presidents discussed the situation with Crimea, and, according to Zelensky, Trump said the United States is ready to help.