The EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Federica Mogherini called implementation of Minsk agreements vital to improve relations between the European Union and the Russian Federation, Mogherini said during the Council of Ministers of Foreign Affairs of EU states in Brussels.
“All 28 EU states are unanimous when it comes to the five EU principles in the relations with Russia. First and foremost is complete implementation of Minsk agreements”, - Mogherini stated.
She also reminded that this week is very important because in this period two years ago the Russian Federation annexed Crimea.
“Our common position on this matter – we don’t acknowledge annexation of Crimea”, - Mogherini emphasized.
Mogherini’s position and position of the entire EU on relations with Russia involves the following principles:
- full implementation of the Minsk ceasefire agreement in eastern Ukraine as a condition for any changes in EU policy toward Russia,
- bolstering EU ties with its eastern partners,
- strengthening the EU’s resilience,
- maintaining exclusively EU interests in any kind of engagement with Russia,
- engaging in people-to-people contact and supporting civil society in Russia.