22-year-old Oleg Vernyayev brought the first – and the long awaited one – gold medal into Ukraine’s chest on August 16. Later that day, he finished eighth in the high bar final event in the Summer Olympics in Rio. The gold went to Germany’s Fabian Gambüchen; U.S. athlete Danell Leyva got silver, and British Neill Wilson claimed bronze.
Rio 2016: Results of August 16 (evening)
Ukraine eventually collects gold medal tonight
Canada‘s Governor-General to visit Ukraine soon 15 January, 18:43
- UKRAINE CRISIS 11:31JCCC considers appeal of Vodafone-Ukraine on access to occupied Donbas
- FINANCE11:16General Electric to supply 30 diesel locomotives to Ukraine – Ambassador to USA
- UKRAINE TOP 11:14Ukrainian who "worked" for militants detained in Donetsk region
- UKRAINE CRISIS 10:281.5 million of internally displaced persons registered in Ukraine
- POLITICS09:54Denmark to essentially increase spending on defense due to Russian aggression
- POLITICS09:35Serbia, Montenegro can join EU in 2025, - European Commission
- SOCIETY09:05US warns tourists about measles outbreak in Ukraine
- POLITICS08:38Lithuania opens analog of 'Magnitsky List'
- UKRAINE TOP 08:06Ex-US Ambassador to Ukraine calls Lavrov’s statement “absolutely absurd”
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:56Day in Donbas: Militants used grenade launchers and machine guns in Donetsk region
UKRAINE TOP 12:34, 31 October Shattering plan: Blockade of Poroshenko's confectionery business
16:10, 15 January 87 people catch measles in Kyiv over 24 hours