Fire-fighting operations are not yet performed on the ammunition depot in Bakaliya, Kharkiv region, reported Ukraine’s chief military prosecutor Anatoly Matios during his briefing, broadcasted by 112 Ukraine TV channel.
“Due to the continuing detonation of ammunition supplies, the firefighting can’t be performed at the moment, thus it’s not being performed,” he announced.
Besides, the Matios said that according to local residents a sound of an unmanned flying object was heard before the blasts started.
“A sound reminding the flight of the unmanned flying object was heard before the blast, after that the blasts occurred in two spots of one site,” he reported.
Anatoly Matios also informed on the number of people involved into protection of the depot in fire.
“The due security services were and are performed – around a thousand of military men of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and departmental security service, daily security squad make almost a hundred people,” noted Ukraine’s chief military prosecutor.
He also assured that the measures to enhance the object’s security were taken last year, thus there’s no talking of accident or negligence.
“The safety inspections were conducted at the beginning of the previous year of this kind of facilities, the inspection was performed exactly on Balakliya arsenal. After that the number of staff safeguards was increased up to 100 people. Thus there’s no talking about negligence of accident,” said Ukraine’s chief military prosecutor Anatoly Matios.
As it was reported earlier, a blast on ammunition storage facility in Kharkiv region occurred this night, on March 23 near the city of Balakliya. Almost 20 000 people evacuated to the nearest villages beyond the detonation zone.