Since 2014, twelve mortars of the Ukrainian army exploded during field tests, which resulted in casualties among servicemen. Ihor Chepkov, the head of the Central Research and Development Institute of Arms and Military Vehicles of Ukraine's Armed Forces said that during the Parliament's Defense Committee.
'If we take a closer look at the situations, which resulted in the losses among the staff, we'll learn that 12 explosions occurred over this time. Eight of those were Molot mortars (the same kind of the weapon that was destroyed during the recent incident, - 112 International). Three of those were destroyed due to double loading, four blasted due to the premature trigger operation, and one more was destroyed due to a combat collision. Another four cases took place, when B11 mortar wad double-loaded', Chepkov said.
Previously, Defense Ministry found that the mortar that exploded at a firing range in Rivne region was double-loaded, which became the cause of the blast that recently claimed the lives of three military servicemen. 'Most likely, the tragic case occurred due to the double loading of the mortar before the exercise began.
However, according to the documents, all weapons, including that particular mortar, was fully operative', Deputy Defense Minister Ihor Pavlovsky said. He said that the experiment took place on Wednesday, where the weaponry experts conducted the same actions that those performed during the incident.
'During the double loading of a mortar, the consequences of the destruction of the mortar's barrel were just the same as during the Friday incident. We blasted another mine to make sure the cause was the double loading. The result was the same as that after the investigation experiment, where the mine exploded due to a damaged trigger inside the barrel', he said.