As floods are still observed in western Ukraine, flooding of houses, agricultural land, manure depots, landfills is very possible, and therefore the risk of outbreaks of infectious diseases and food poisoning increases. The Public Health Center of the Ministry of Health reports on Facebook.
"With the real threat of contamination of drinking water by the causative agents of viral hepatitis A, typhoid fever, dysentery, enterovirus infection and other infectious diseases, it is necessary to adhere to simple prevention rules," the Public Health Center noted.
For prevention, you need the following:
- Boil potable water. Do not use water from decentralized sources in places of flooding, water of dubious quality from unverified sources and ground water bodies. It is advisable to use bottled bottled water for drinking.
- Do not drink water from open sources, flooded or unknown wells and sources that may be contaminated. In case of flooding, pollution of water sources, contact local authorities. According to article 18 of the Law of Ukraine "On ensuring the sanitary and epidemic well-being of the population", local authorities are obliged to provide residents of cities and other settlements with drinking water, the quantity and quality of which must meet the requirements of sanitary norms.
- For food use only quality products. Be sure to follow the cooking technology, especially regarding the heat treatment of meat, culinary products from meat, fish, eggs and the like. Rinse vegetables and fruits well with drinking water, for consumption by children - pour over boiling water.
- Observe personal hygiene and ensure that children observe them.
In addition, after the descent of water from the soil, it is necessary to:
- Carry out land restoration (clean the surface of the soil of foreign objects (branches, garbage, etc.), dig up gardens and household plots to a depth of 20-25 cm;
- In case of overfilling with water, clean individual cesspools and latrines (toilets) with a sewage machine and disinfect with bleach or other disinfectant intended for this purpose;
- Clean and disinfect mine wells for private and public use;
- Periodically carry out laboratory studies of the quality of drinking water sources of decentralized water supply;
- Dry the house, thoroughly clean and disinfect contaminated dishes, household items and the area adjacent to the house. All flooded property is subject to disinfection;
- Conduct deratization in places of possible accumulation of rodents;
- Do not eat food that has been flooded or contaminated with flood water during the flood. Get rid of them and from conservation, which was flooded with water and received damage;
- Do not buy food products, vegetables in natural markets, in places not specified for trade;
- Observe personal hygiene requirements before eating, after going to the toilet;
- Do not let children play with dirty toys.
If symptoms appear (fever, dizziness, headache, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, runny nose, cough, yellowing of the skin, sclera of the eyes, rash on the body, the appearance of ulcers, etc.), seek medical help immediately and do not self-medicate.