Feedback
Investigations of 2013 Euromaidan crackdown: Pending verdicts in dozens of cases
08:03, 1 December 2017
Investigations of 2013 Euromaidan crackdown: Pending verdicts in dozens of cases

Some of the-then officials involved in the crime still stay in their offices, - Chief of the Special Investigations Department of Ukraine's Prosecutor General's Office

08:03, 1 December 2017

bigmir.net

Currently, there are dozens of cases opened against perpetrators of the 2013 Euromaidan crackdown in Kyiv. However, there are still no verdicts in these cases. Serhiy Horbatyuk, the Chief of the Special Investigations Department of Ukraine's Prosecutor General's Office said that at a briefing in Kyiv.

'We handed notices of suspicion to 22 the-then officials - specifically, the former President, ex-Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council and his deputy, ex-Interior Minister, as well as the commander and fighters of Berkut task force. Besides, the court has at its disposal the bill of indictment against the former mayor, who is suspected of assistance in organization of the crackdown,' he said.

Related: Torchlight procession commemorating anniversary of Euromaidan held in Kyiv, 4 people detained

On the other hand, Horbatyuk added, it is impossible to say for sure who were the actual perpetrators, since there are no verdicts in respective criminal proceedings. Some of the-then officials involved in the crime still keep their jobs, he said. 'There's a case against a task force commander; he's a suspect, and the investigation will soon be over, but he still serves in this office. Judges choose not to keep them in detention; and these people have nothing to fear, because these long-lasting considerations by the court lead to nowhere,' the official concluded.

Previousl, Horbaytuk reported that 380 individuals received bills of indictment and thus are considered suspects in the crimes against Euromaidan protesters in late 2013-early 2014. The courts found 48 people guilty. 

Related: Murderers of Euromaidan protesters Nigoyan, Zhyznevsky and Senyk still not found

On November 21, Ukrainians mark the anniversary of the Euromaidan movement. It was November 21, 2013, when peaceful demonstration began in the downtown Kyiv; protesters demanded that the-then government sign the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement. The protests turned violent on November 30, when the crackdown took place, and students were beaten and detained by the police. Since then, the movement saw several spikes of violence and street fights. They eventually led to the tragic culmination of the Revolution of Dignity, when several dozens of unarmed protesters and about a dozen law enforcers were killed. The investigation into these bloody murders has been underway ever since.

Related: Yanukovych is ready to take part in trial on Euromaidan case

Related: Yanukovych: Crimes against Euromaidan activists should be considered in presence of international consultative group

Related: Progress in Euromaidan cases, trial started

Topics:
Система Orphus

If you find an error, highlight the desired text and press Ctrl + Enter, to tell about it

Comments
see more