Since the beginning of 2020, 40 cases of infection with botulism observed in Ukraine; two cases were lethal. Besides, nine and 13-year-old children were among the diseased, as the Public Health Center reported on Facebook.
“The consumption of the home-made preserves, air-dried, smoked, salted fish and other food products purchased in the unauthorized trading may lead to the infection with botulism,” the center reported.
It is noted that botulism is heavy food poisoning caused by the consumption of products containing botulinum toxins.
The Public Health Center of Ukraine urges to treat health responsibly and do not consume air-dried, smoked, salted fish, preserved, and meat products without proper sanitization.
A 59-year-old man died from botulism in Ukraine. On the eve, a man ate homemade canned pork. It was severe acute disease and the state of the patient deteriorated after serum infusion and three surgeries. A man died on December 30, 2019.