The fire at Shyroky Lan firing range occurred due to the violation of safety rules, - specifically because the perpetrator poured the flammable liquid into the fire, which resulted in fire spreading from the stove to his clothes and eventually the tent. Ivan Arefyev, the press secretary of the HQ of Ground Troops of Ukraine's Armed Forces in his commentary for 112 Ukraine TV channel.
'The survivor in the incident said that the fire in the stove was dying out, and the perpetrator tried to add some fuel. He poured the flammable liquid from the plastic bottle, and it caught fire. Then, it immediately spread further on - on his clothes and the tent', Arefyev said.
Presidential counselor Yuriy Biryukov added that the military man used a plastic botlle, which is forbidden by the safety regulations.
As 112 International reported earlier, one military serviceman was killed, seven were injured in the fire at Shyroky Lan polygon in Mykolaiv region on Tuesday night. Khrystyna Vdovychenko, the press officer of the 92nd Independent Mechanized Brigade of the Ukrainian Armed Forces, said that on Tuesday.
"At the 235th combined-arms polygon a fire occurred as a result of violation of safety rules when using the stove at night. One soldier got fatal injuries, seven people received burns of varying degrees of severity," Vdovychenko said.
At the same time, volunteer Yury Mysiagin on Facebook says that one of the residential military tents was caught on fire.
As it was reported earlier, another incident happened at Shyroky Lan polygon in 2017. A serviceman of the 79th separate air assault brigade of the air-transported troops of the Armed Forces of Ukraine died during the drills on the Shyroky Lan polygon in Mykolaiv, Southern Ukraine, on July 10.
Ruslan Shpynda, a sergeant of the 79th Detached Airborne Assault Brigade of the Armed Forces of Ukraine died during the field firing exercise on the Shyroky Lan polygon in Mykolaiv region due to the violation of safety measures.