Feedback

Cemetery of killed dolphins found near Crimean coast (video)

Source : 112 Ukraine

Studies have shown that a maximum of 10% of dolphins are subsequently released ashore, the other 90% sink to the bottom of the sea
21:02, 20 May 2021

Open source

Dolphin carcasses with cargo on their tails were found off the coast of Crimea. Thus, fishermen are sweeping away traces of their activities in the Black Sea. Experts from the Carefree Sea Crimean Dolphin Rehabilitation Center reported this.

Related: 4,950 violations of human rights observed in Crimea in 2017-2020

"These dolphins are just a few of those that our volunteers and eyewitnesses accidentally managed to find on the seabed in the Crimea. But the reality is that it is in the sea, away from sight, most of them, and all those we catch thrown ashore, - it is a small visible part of all problem,” the center reported.

Studies have shown that a maximum of 10% of dolphins are subsequently thrown ashore, the other 90% sink to the seabed since buoyancy depends on the degree of fatness and the presence of air in the lungs.

"Some fishermen drown them with a load or inflict penetrating injuries into the abdominal cavity in order for the body to sink exactly and not float during decomposition, and therefore not be found on the shore," the center said.

The center's experts sent a report on the monitoring results to the Federal Agency for Fisheries and the All-Russian Research Institute of Fisheries and Oceanography.

The center's experts sent a report on the monitoring results to the Federal Agency for Fishery and the Russian Federal Research Institute of Fisheries and Oceanography.

Related: Ukraine accuses Russia in prosecution of 93 Crimean Tatar on political motives

As it was reported earlier, Another case of peril of rare birds is observed in the Askania-Nova national park (Kherson region, southern Ukraine). The National Police workers found 12 dead birds in the area, including nine gray cranes and three red roody shelducks. 

Topics:
Система Orphus

If you find an error, highlight the desired text and press Ctrl + Enter, to tell about it

Comments
see more