The International Organization for Migration said it was the largest single loss of life in the English Channel since the beginning of data collection began in 2014.
The Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Boris Johnson said he was "shocked and saddened" by the deaths of migrants. The head of government promised "not to leave a stone unturned" in the fight against gangs of traffickers.
French and British authorities launched a rescue operation by air and sea to find possible survivors.
The boat of the French volunteer marine rescue organization transported the bodies of migrants to the harbor of Calais.
According to French Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin, five women and a girl were among the dead. Two people were rescued and one is missing.
Four people were arrested on suspicion of human smuggling and this tragic shipment, in particular near the Belgian border.
Johnson and French President Emmanuel Macron have decided that they need to work more closely with their neighbors in Belgium and the Netherlands to counter the flow of illegal immigrants.
The UK has pledged €62.7 million to France over 2021-22 to help increase police patrols along its coastline, strengthen air surveillance and strengthen port security infrastructure.
As it was reported, in August of last year, hundreds of illegal migrants arrived in the UK for several days, in connection with which the country's Interior Ministry turned to the army and the French government for help to curb their flow.
The French Interior Ministry said that control teams on the north coast intercept migrants on a daily basis, and additional resources have been mobilized for this purpose. To address this issue, France has asked the UK to pay 30 million pounds ($39.12 million) to the police in the English Channel.
On June 1, 2019, British and French border guards detained eight migrant boats carrying 74 people in the English Channel. People were trying to get to Britain.