The U.S. Department of the State imposed sanctions on six Russian research institutions, which are known to be involved in the development of chemical weapons program. The list of sanctioned companies has been released on the website of the U.S. authority.
"(... ) the Department of State added six entities to the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA) Section 231 List of Specified Persons as persons that are part of, or operate for or on behalf of, the defense or intelligence sectors of the Government of the Russian Federation. (...) We are taking this step due to the malign activities in which Russia’s defense sector engages – especially with respect to its chemical weapons program – and the revenue, access, and influence that transactions with its defense sector provide the Russian government", reads the statement.
The list of sanctioned institutions includes following entities:
- 27th Scientific Center;
- 48 Central Scientific Research Institute Sergiev Posad (also known as [aka] 48 TsNII Sergiev Posad; aka 48th Central Research Institute, Sergiev Posad);
- 48 Central Scientific Research Institute Kirov (aka 48th Central Research Institute Kirov; aka 48th TsNII);
- 48 Central Scientific Research Institute Yekaterinburg (aka 48th TsNII Yekaterinburg);
- State Scientific Research Institute of Organic Chemistry and Technology (aka GoSNIIOKhT);
- 33rd Scientific Research and Testing Institute (aka 33rd TsNIII).
The decision is made within the case of Alexei Navalny's poisoning last year. The Western governments have been accusing Russian government with the attempt on the life of the major Russian opposition figure.