Russian President Vladimir Putin denied having any involvement in the hack of the Democratic National Committee in early August, in an interview published Friday, but said it's "important" the contents of the DNC emails were made public.
17:42 18.11.2017 Kremlin announces difficulties of exchanging prisoners between Donbas republics and Ukraine
CNN: Putin denies role in DNC hack, 'important' that information made public
Russian President Vladimir Putin denied having any involvement in the hack of the Democratic National Committee in early August
A US official saying earlier this summer there was "little doubt" Russia was behind the attack.
"I don't know anything about it, and on a state level Russia has never done this," Putin told Bloomberg News. Still, Putin asked if it matters "who hacked this data," and argued that "the important thing is the content that was given to the public."
The Russian president also commented on the US presidential election. Putin said that he has no preference among the two major party candidates, but criticized them for playing "the anti-Russian card."
"I don't think they are setting the best example," he said.
Putin responded to suspicion surrounding Russia's role in the DNC hack by arguing that "there's no need to distract the public's attention from the essence of the problem by raising some minor issues connected with the search for who did it."
"But," he continued, "I want to tell you again -- I don't know anything about it, and on a state level Russia has never done this."
The Russian leader weighed in on the revelations that resulted from the release of DNC data, showing that DNC officials appeared to favor Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign over primary rival Bernie Sanders.
Putin noted that the leaks indicated "specifically that the campaign headquarters worked in the interest of one of the candidates, in this case Mrs. Clinton, rather than equally for all of the Democratic Party candidates."
Read the whole article here
- RUSSIA09:56Poland’s Minister of Defence calls Russian massive drills preparation for hot war
- POLITICS09:10US Senator calls on Trump to provide Ukraine with lethal arms
- UKRAINE TOP 08:22Over two dozen police officers injured in protests in Odesa
- UKRAINE CRISIS 22:24Militants violated truce in Donbas conflict zone 10 times
- SOCIETY21:37Poroshenko thanks David Lynch for opening representative office in Ukraine
- POLITICS20:51Trump to receive recommendations on $47 million weapons supply to Ukraine
- POLITICS20:03Poland officially confirms "black list" of Ukrainians
- POLITICS19:16SBU detained Russian involved in murder of journalist Paul Khlebnikov
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:28Defense Ministry confirms information about one killed in Donbas conflict over past day
- POLITICS17:42Kremlin announces difficulties of exchanging prisoners between Donbas republics and Ukraine
UKRAINE TOP 12:34, 31 October Shattering plan: Blockade of Poroshenko's confectionery business
POLITICS 08:00, 31 October Court puts Manafort, his business partner Gates under house arrest
18:45, 17 November Russian internet trolls interfered with pre-Brexit election campaign