The regulatory rules on the impeachment proceedings were transferred to this impeachment bill, references to the law on temporary investigators and special commissions of the Verkhovna Rada (declared unconstitutional due to procedural violations upon entry into force) were removed. Some features of the impeachment proceedings were also settled.
It is reported that the Constitution and the Reglament have already regulated the following stages of the impeachment procedure:
- 226 MPs sign a petition to remove the president from his post;
- The Verkhovna Rada initiates the impeachment procedure by 226 votes of MP's;
- The Verkhovna Rada establishes a commission to investigate claimed allegations (226 votes are required to pass a resolution);
- Conclusions and proposals are submitted to the Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada for a decision on the type of proceedings (open or closed);
- During a secret ballot, at least 300 votes are required to accuse the president;
- 226 votes are required to appeal to the Constitutional and Supreme Courts on this matter;
- In case of positive conclusions of the Constitutional Court and the Supreme Court, within two days a secret ballot to remove the President from his position is held in the Verkhovna Rada; this requires the support of ¾ of the constitutional composition of the Verkhovna Rada, i.e. 338 votes;
- The Counting Commission reports on the results of a secret ballot at an open session of the Verkhovna Rada;
- The decision of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine to remove the President from the position of impeachment shall come into force upon the announcement of the Chairman of the Plenary Session on its approval;
- According to the Constitution, from that moment on the President's authority is executed by the speaker of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (there are restrictions).
As we reported earlier, the bill on impeachment was introduced in the Verkhovna Rada by Volodymyr Zelensky.
On September 10, the parliament initially endorsed a bill by the 337 votes of MP’s.
During a second vote, the Verkhovna Rada recognized the presidential bill on the impeachment proceedings as one that does not need further elaboration - 245 deputies voted in favor of it.
As a result, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine approved the bill only by the votes of the Servant of the People fraction.