President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky has commented on the introduced sanctions against Ukrainian TV channels - 112 Ukraine, NewsONE, and ZiK. He described it as a "struggle for the truth".
"Ukraine decisively condemns freedom of speech - not the propaganda funded by the aggressor country, which undermines Ukraine on the way to the EU and Euro-Atlantic integration. The struggle for independence is a fight in the information war for the truth and European values", Zelensky wrote on Twitter.
The President added that the decision was "hard to make".
Earlier, Speaker of the Ukrainian Parliament Dmytro Razumkov refused to sign the respective decree, which introduced sanctions against the three channels.
According to the decree that is eligible since the moment of signature, the TV channels faced sanctions that will be active for five years. These sanctions make the broadcasting process impossible.
The sanctions include:
- Asset freeze; temporary restriction of the right of the owner to use and dispose of the property.
- prevention of the withdrawal of assets beyond Ukraine;
- suspension of living up to economic and financial commitments;
- cancelation or suspension of licenses and other permissions, the presence of which is a condition to perform certaon kind of activity;
- ban of use of any radio frequency of Ukraine;
- abruption of broadcasting process of TV programs/TV communication services and the use of TV communication networks of general use;
- full or partial ban of making deals with valuable papers, emitted by sanctioned individuals;
- ban of issuance of permissions and licenses of the National Bank of Ukraine for investments into a foreign country, deployment of currency in accounts on the territory of a foreign state;
- ban of issuance of permissions and licenses for deployment or withdrawal of currency and limiteds issuance of cash from credit cards, emitted by the residents of a foreign country;
- ban of passage of technologies, rights on intellectual property;
- stoppage of cultural exchange, scientific cooperation, education and sport contacts, entertainment shows with foreign states and foreign companies;
- other sanctions, which correspond principles of their use, which were set by the actual law.