Another order, released immediately, puts Mykola Balan in charge of the National Guard; until today, Balan served as Allerov's deputy.
Under the acting legal frameworks, the National Guard Commander is assigned and fired by the President of Ukraine, based on the appeal of the Minister of Internal Affairs.
The National Guard of Ukraine has a wide list of duties, including:
- protection of life, rights, freedoms and legitimate interests of citizens, society and the state, protection of the constitutional system of Ukraine and the integrity of its territory;
- performance of tasks on territorial defense;
- the conduct of hostilities in the event of armed conflict or the threat of an attack on Ukraine;
- suppression of the activities of illegal militants or armed groups, terrorist organizations, organized groups and criminal organizations;
- participation in antiterrorist operations.