Air strikes hit the positions of pro-Iranian Shia militia in Iraq on Thursday, March 12. The missiles reportedly destroyed five weapon storage sites. BBC reported that, with the reference to the Pentagon.
"The Iranian proxy group Kataib Hezbollah is the only group known to have previously conducted an indirect fire attack of this scale against US and coalition forces in Iraq," Central Command chief Gen Kenneth McKenzie said as quoted, reporting to the U.S. Senate Committee.
The U.S. authority confirmed that the airstrikes were deployed with the use of a drone.
"The United States will not tolerate attacks against our people, our interests, or our allies. We will take any action necessary to protect our forces," US Defense Secretary Mark Esper said as quoted by BBC.
The American side blamed the pro-Iranian militants for previous attacks on the military bases in Iraq.
Last month, Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said that the Islamic republic must become strong enough to ward off the “enemy’s threats” and prevent a war. Arab News reports this with reference to AFP.
“We must become strong so that there will not be a war, become strong so that enemy’s threats will end,” Khamenei told a gathering of air force commanders and staff aired on state television.
“We do not want to threaten anyone... this is to prevent threats, to maintain the country’s security,” he added.