Journalist Ihor Solovey became the new head of the Center for Strategic Communications and Information Security (CSCIS) under the Ministry of Culture. He will replace Lyubov Tsybulskaya in this post, who has worked in this position for six months and will now be an adviser for international communications. It is also known that Mykola Balaban will be his deputy.
We tell you what is known about the new head of the Center, as well as about the work of the recently created SCIS.
What is the Center for Strategic Communications?
It was created in March 2021, two bodies were created to counter Russian disinformation in Ukraine: the Center for Strategic Communications and Information Security (CSCIS) was launched under the Ministry of Culture, and the International Center for Countering Disinformation was created on the basis of the National Security and Defense Council (NSDC).
What are the areas of work? CSCIS is also called the Center for Combating Fakes, it is a state organization that conducts expertise on hybrid threats. According to the plan, CSCIS will focus its work on:
- strategic communications, which will include the development of counter-narratives of the Russian Federation, the conduct of information campaigns, the inclusion of Ukrainian narratives in the daily communication of the government;
- creation of an online resource that will actively respond to informatics;
- regular notification of hybrid aggression by Russia at the international level, joint development of mechanisms to counter disinformation with international partners.
For example, on the Center's page, they write posts and publish articles in the media about cases of disinformation: about the "Crimean Platform", propaganda narratives during the visit of President Volodymyr Zelensky to the United States, make reviews about the Russian presence in the information field of Ukraine, collect reviews of other organizations and fact checkers, and other.
Lyubov Tsybulskaya also summed up that the Center has developed a "matrix of strategic narratives", created a concept of trainings for civil servants, created a brochure with recommendations on information security "In an emergency or war", started producing its own analysts, and is working on creating a Forum on strategic communications.
CV and plans in the office
Ihor Solovey is an international journalist and analyst. According to the "Media Detector", from 2005 to 2014 he worked in the international department of the Ukrinform agency, in 2006-2013 he has been heading the Ukrinform bureau in Russia.
In 2014-2016, he was a political correspondent for Interfax-Ukraine.
From 2016 to 2019 he worked as the head of the international department at Lb.ua.
In 2019, he moved to work as deputy editor-in-chief for international information of the Obozrevatel Internet publication. In addition, he held the position of director of the NGO "International Research Agency".
After being appointed to the post, Nightingale wrote that he considered his tasks:
- unite the efforts of the state and the landing of information volunteers;
- establish reliable contacts between the Center and the communication teams of state bodies - to build communications to counter disinformation;
- the main goal is to make Ukrainian society resistant to disinformation.
He also added that he will tell in more detail about the plans and work a little later.