Turkish troops fired at the field base of U.S. special forces in Syria. A senior Pentagon spokesman said the Turkish bombardment was so heavy that U.S. forces decided to return fire for self-defense. Newsweek reported this.
"A contingent of US commandos was attacked at northern Syria a few days after US President Donald Trump announced to his Turkish counterpart that he would withdraw US troops from certain positions in the area," the statement said.
An Iraqi Kurdish intelligence officer and senior Pentagon official said U.S. special forces operating on Mashtenur Hill in the major city of Kobani were hit by artillery fire from Turkish forces conducting the so-called Peaceful Spring operation against Kurdish militants.
No casualties have been reported.
On October 10, Turkey launched a military operation in Syria.
According to the source, a small forward group of Turkish forces appeared not far from Syrian towns of Tell Abyad and Ras-al-Ayn on Wednesday morning. They are preparing to advance. The Turkish side aims to make Syrian armed units withdraw from the border, the interlocutor told the U.S. outlet.
Previously, the Turkish Ministry for National Defense reported that the U.S. and Turkey agreed to create the Centre for Joint Operations against Syria. It is based in Turkey.
In August, Turkish leader Recep Tayyip Erdogan claimed that his country would start a new counter-terrorism operation in Syria.
Ankara credits armed Kurdish fighters as members of terrorist organizations.
The ethnic Kurds make a considerable part of Turkey's population (some 20 percent of it).