The Ukrainian delegation to the Trilateral Contract Group for the peaceful settlement of the situation in eastern Ukraine supported the possibility of returning delegations to face-to-face meetings, but not in Minsk. Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada Committee on Legal Policy and the representative of Ukraine in the political subgroup of the TCG Andriy Kostin said so, according to Interfax.
“Our consultations have been held by video conference since March last year. That is, there is a person on the screen and two other ones next to them. Moreover, none of us knows who is actually behind the screen. This is a matter of the confidentiality of the negotiation process. That is why the Ukrainian delegation supported the possibility of returning to face-to-face meetings,” Kostin said.
According to him, the relevant consultations are underway, but there is no question of returning face-to-face meetings in Minsk.
“Our only position is to ensure the safety of all participants, independence and confidentiality of this procedure. Therefore, we certainly do not consider Minsk as a place for face-to-face consultations. But we are ready to consider other locations,” he added.
Earlier, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister for Reintegration of the Occupied Territories and Deputy Chairman of the Ukrainian delegation to the TKG on Donbas Oleksiy Reznikov said that Russia agrees not to hold more TCG meetings in Minsk.
As it was reported earlier, on April 22, the chairman of TCG Leonid Kravchuk declared that the Trilateral Contract Group for the peaceful settlement of the situation in eastern Ukraine wouldn't hold meetings in Minsk any more.
Later, Minister for Foreign Affairs of Ukraine Dmytro Kuleba stated that there are no more technical, logistical and political conditions to keep face-to-face meetings of the Trilateral Contract Group (TCG) in Minsk.