The Ukrainian Parliament overruled draft decision #5350 on measures of defending national interests, national security, sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine, counteractions against terrorists activity. Only 202 MPs supported the bill, with 226 votes needed.
The draft decision suggests to approve and to introduce personal sanctions against fugitive ex-president Victor Yanukovych and his allies for consideration by Ukraine's National Security and Defense Council.
Thus the Ukrainian MPs might suggest the National Security and Defense Council to develop and provide special economic and other sanctions against a specific list of persons that “pose a real and/or potential threats to Ukraine’s national interests, security, sovereignty and territorial integrity, promoting terrorist activity”.
I case the rejected decision came into its force, the MPs planned to apply to the EU, USA and other governments to introduce similar sanctions.
The sanction list contained 21 person, among them:
- Viktor Yanukovych
- Vitaly Zakharchenko, former Internal Minister
- Viktor Pshonka, former Prosecutor General
- Mykola Prysyazhnyuk, former Minister of Agrarian Policy and Food of Ukraine
- Andriy Klyuyev, businessman, former head of the Presidential Administration of Ukraine
- Viktor Ratushnyak, Former Internal Minister Deputy
- Oleksandr Yanukovych
- Artem Pshonka
- Serhiy Klyuyev
- Mykola Azarov, former PM
- Serhiy Kurchenko
- Dmytro Tabachnyk, former science and education minister
- Serhiy Arbuzov, former First Deputy Prime Minister
- Raisa Bogatyrova
- Oleksandr Klymenko, former Tax Minister
- Dmytro Firtash