The Ukrainian Parliament supported the draft bill No.5630 on the simplified procedure of granting the citizenship for foreigners and people without citizenship who defended Ukraine's territorial integrity. 302 MPs supported the document, with 226 necessary to pass.
The draft bill amends the provisions of the law of Ukraine "On the citizenship of Ukraine". These amendments simplify and improve the rules of granting the citizenship of Ukraine for certain categories of people - specifically, those who were involved in protection of territorial integrity of Ukraine.
The list of categories of such people includes the following persons:
1) those who serve or previously served in the Armed Forces of Ukraine under a contract;
2) those who serve in the Armed Forces of Ukraine under a contract and hold a military decoration from the government;
3) those who boast outstanding merits before Ukraine;
4) those whose citizenship will become one of national interest;
5) citizens of the aggressor country who faced prosecutions due to their political views.
The citizenship will not be granted to the people who committed crimes against humanity.