Fierce fighting between the Armed Forces of Azerbaijan, Armenia, and the unrecognized Nagorno-Karabakh Republic (‘NKR’) has been going on in Nagorno-Karabakh for more than a week. It involves the use of heavy weapons.
Armenia and Azerbaijan have previously declared readiness to negotiate, but have not yet begun it.
Conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh: situation as of this morning
- President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev said on Twitter that the military has taken control of the town of Jabrail in the unrecognized NKR. Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh denied this.
- Aliyev also stated that he was renaming the controlled village of Madagiz to Suqovuşan.
- The Ministry of Defense of Azerbaijan stated that Armenia carried out a missile strike at the city of Ganja. The unrecognized NKR said that the shelling was in response to the shelling of NKR capital Stepanakert.
At the same time, the ‘NKR’ announced the destruction of the military airfield in Ganja. Azerbaijan refuted this statement and reported that “civilians, civilian infrastructure and ancient historic buildings were damaged” as a result of the shelling.
- There is still no exact information on military losses.
For example, according to The Bell, the press secretary of the president of unrecognized NKR Vagram Poghosyan stated that the losses of Azerbaijan during the fighting had exceeded 3,000 people, and the NKR's own losses - 150 people.
One week ago, Azerbaijan reported that there were 2,300 of killed and wounded in Armenia. Armenia stated about 1,750 people killed in Azerbaijan.
- Aide to the President of Azerbaijan Hikmet Hajiyev told TASS about the “severe wounding” of the President of the unrecognized NKR Arayik Harutyunyan. A spokesman for the NKR leader denied the information.