DPRK leader Kim Jong-un said that the breakdown of negotiations with the United States increased the risk of tension revival, but he is interested in holding a third summit with U.S. President Donald Trump. This is reported by Reuters.
Kim said he will wait “till the end of this year” for the United States to decide to be more flexible.
“It is essential for the U.S. to quit its current calculation method and approach us with a new one,” DPRK leader said in a speech to the Supreme People’s Assembly on Friday.
In addition, he noted that his personal relationship with the US president continues to remain good despite the fruitless conclusion of their last meeting.
Trump and Kim have met twice, in Hanoi in February and Singapore in June, building goodwill but failing to agree on a deal to lift sanctions in exchange for North Korea abandoning its nuclear and missile programs.
Trump later issued a statement on Twitter that underscored the strength of his personal relationship with Kim and pointed to what he called North Korea’s “tremendous potential” for economic success, once the issue of Pyongyang’s weapons programs has been resolved.
“A third Summit would be good in that we fully understand where we each stand,” the U.S. president said in a pair of Saturday morning tweets.
“I look forward to the day, which could be soon, when Nuclear Weapons and Sanctions can be removed, and then watching North Korea become one of the most successful nations of the World!”
In his speech, the North Korean leader said the outcome in Hanoi led him to question the strategy he embraced last year of international engagement and talks with the United States.