President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Jomart Tokayev gave the government a number of instructions aimed at resolving the socio-economic situation, which became one of the reasons for the mass protests, the site of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan informs.
In particular, the head of state ordered to:
- Introduce state regulation of prices other than liquefied gas for gasoline and diesel for a period of 180 days;
- Introduce state price regulation for socially significant food products. The decision will be made by the akims of the regions, taking into account the socio-economic situation in a particular region;
- Undertake the development of the law "On Bankruptcy of Individuals";
- Consider the need to introduce a moratorium on raising utility tariffs for the population for a period of 180 days;
- Consider subsidizing the rent for secondary housing for socially vulnerable groups;
- Create a public fund "People of Kazakhstan", funded by private and public sources, to address health and children.
Tokayev blamed the government, in particular the energy ministries, as well as KazMunayGas and Kazakhgas, for creating the preconditions for the protest.
The president criticized the implementation of his mandate in June last year to speed up the construction of a new plant based on Kazakh Gas Refinery, which produces liquefied natural gas in the Mangistau region.
The head of state also stressed that one of the main tasks of the executive branch - curbing inflation, remained unfulfilled. This will be a priority for the next government.
According to Tokayev, Prime Minister Askar Mamin has resigned.This means the termination of the powers of the entire government.
As it was reported, after a couple days of antigovernment protests the Cabinet of Kazakhstan has filed a resignation letter, and President Kasym-Jomart Tokayev accepted it.
In the beginning of 2022 protests erupted in Kazakhstan after the increase in the price of liquefied gas. Demonstrators announced an indefinite action. Demands to reduce the price of gas have grown into calls for the resignation of the president and government. The Internet has been shut down in the country, law enforcement agencies seized military equipment, make arrests.
President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Jomart Tokayev announced a state of emergency in Mangistau region and the city of Almaty.On January 5, the head of state promised to consider and take into account the demands of the protesters. They are known to demand lower gas prices and the resignation of the government.