According to Mousavi, Washington’s new sanctions on petrochemical industry show the void of President Donald Trump's claims to be open to fresh negotiations with Tehran.
"Only one week was needed for the US president's claim that he was ready to negotiate with Iran to be proven hollow," said the spokesman for the Iranian foreign ministry.
Trump said Thursday he would be willing to reopen talks as long as Iran agreed to give up nuclear weapons. But Tehran ruled out talks until the United States is ready to "return to normal."
Mousavi called the new sanctions another instance of "economic terrorism" and a continuation of US "enmity" against Iran.
"America's maximum pressure policy is a failed policy tried numerous times before by the country's previous presidents. This a wrong path and the US government can be sure that it will not achieve any of the goals set for this policy," Mousavi added.
Washington began reimposing unilateral sanctions on Iran after Trump abandoned a landmark 2015 nuclear deal in May last year.