Nancy Pelosi said Democrats are prepared to move forward with impeachment next week if President Donald Trump doesn't resign, as momentum quickly built among House Democrats furious with Trump to hold an impeachment vote. This is reported by CNN.
House Democrats plan to submit resolution to impeach Trump on January 11
U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi
Following a Democratic caucus call earlier in the afternoon, Pelosi said in a statement that the House would "preserve every option," including legislation to establish a commission under the 25th Amendment that could recommend Trump's removal, in addition to impeachment. Final decisions on whether to impeach have not yet been made, Democratic sources said.
"It is the hope of Members that the President will immediately resign. But if he does not, I have instructed the Rules Committee to be prepared to move forward with Congressman Jamie Raskin's 25th Amendment legislation and a motion for impeachment," Pelosi said. "Accordingly, the House will preserve every option - including the 25th Amendment, a motion to impeach or a privileged resolution for impeachment."
House Democrats plan to introduce their impeachment resolution when the House next comes into session. The latest draft of the impeachment resolution includes one article of impeachment for "incitement of insurrection." The House Rules Committee is expected to meet Monday or Tuesday to approve a rule that would govern floor debate for an impeachment resolution and Raskin's bill to create a new mechanism to invoke the 25th Amendment.
Under that timeline, an impeachment vote is possible by the middle of next week.
Trump’s resignation would be the best path to US healing—and global effectiveness 11 January 2021, 17:21
Trump faces second impeachment 14 January 2021, 22:37
Republican to consider Democrats' effort to impeach Trump after Capitol assault 8 January 2021, 20:13
U.S. Congress starts debates on Trump’s impeachment 13 January 2021, 17:22
- SOCIETY20:55Hungary first in EU to approve Russian vaccine
- SOCIETY20:11Fire in Kharkiv: January 22 to be mourning day, - Acting Mayor
- POLITICS19:28Biden claims combating Covid-19 his first priority
- SOCIETY18:55Merkel offers Russia support in Sputnik V approval in EU
- UKRAINE TOP 17:45Rescuers extinguish fire in a nursing home in Kharkiv, which killed 15 people
- UKRAINE TOP 17:41Fire at Kharkiv nursing home: 15 people dead
- SOCIETY17:00Ukrainian peacekeeper dies in DR Congo
- UKRAINE TOP 16:21Commercial market of Ukraine to get vaccines against Covid-19 until summer
- SOCIETY16:10In 2020, Security Service of Ukraine eliminated 15 drug labs
- SOCIETY15:43UAE approves use of Russian Sputnik V vaccine
SOCIETY 3 September 2020, 15:48 Ukraine assigns funds to purchase Remdesivir to treat Covid-19
POLITICS 3 September 2020, 18:26 Lukashenko accuses Ukraine of interference in Belarus’ affairs
POLITICS 3 September 2020, 17:14 Lukashenko states to intercept secret talks of Merkel about Navalny
21 January 2021, 18:28 Fire in Kharkiv nursing home: 15 people died
20 January 2021, 13:54 Preparing for Biden's inauguration: The White House moves Trump out