"General Austin is a southerner, has impeccable credentials given his military career, and would be an outstanding secretary for the department,” said Rep. Bennie Thompson.
GOP leadership refuses to approve resolution on Biden's acknowledging as President-elect
Former Vice President of the U.S. Joe Biden
It is reported that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Rules Committee Chairman Roy Blunt of Missouri voted with House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy. Their decision prevented the inaugural committee from publicly accepting Biden's upcoming inauguration.
"The extent to which Republicans are refusing to accept the outcome of the election and recognize Joe Biden and Kamala Harris as our next President and Vice President is astounding," said House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer.
As we reported earlier, Biden has decided to appoint Retired General Lloyd Austin as the country's secretary of defense.
If the decision is officially made, Austin will the first-ever Black defense secretary of the United States.
Zelensky to visit Washington on August 30, - White House 21 July 2021, 21:03
- SPORT10:15Tokyo Olympics: Svitolina makes it to semifinals
- UKRAINE TOP 09:31Coronavirus mapping dashboard: world online
- UKRAINE TOP 09:001033rd anniversary of Christianization of Kyiv Rus': All you need to know
- POLITICS08:47Luxembourg opens borders for Ukrainian tourists, - Foreign Minister
- SOCIETY08:04Israel allows vaccination for kids aged from five to eleven
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:58Day in Donbas: Mortar attacks in Zolote, Vodyane
- SOCIETY22:50Russia outraged at demolition of Soviet monument in Lviv
- SOCIETY21:22Almost 4,000 property rights violations recorded in Crimea since 2014
- SOCIETY20:38Ukraine's Oksana Lyniv becomes first female conductor at Bayreuth opera festival
- UKRAINE TOP 19:55Khomchak leaves office of Ukrainian Army's Commander-in-Chief
SOCIETY 3 September 2020, 15:48 Ukraine assigns funds to purchase Remdesivir to treat Covid-19
POLITICS 3 September 2020, 18:26 Lukashenko accuses Ukraine of interference in Belarus’ affairs
POLITICS 3 September 2020, 17:14 Lukashenko states to intercept secret talks of Merkel about Navalny
14 July 2021, 14:27 Population recovery: Wild animals and birds bred in Volyn and released
14 July 2021, 14:19 NASA Mission uncovers hidden meltwater lakes under Antarctica's ice