Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation Sergey Lavrov said that after the death of the former leader of DNR there can be no possibility of the Normandy Four meeting, TASS reports.
"In the current situation, it is impossible to talk about the next meetings in the Normandy format, as many of our European partners want," he said.
In addition, he expressed the opinion that the murder of Zakharchenko is a provocation aimed at disrupting Minsk agreements.
"The provocation of Ukraine, it is clearly aimed at hindering the implementation of the Minsk agreements," the Russian Foreign Minister added.
Head of the terrorist organization "Donetsk People's Republic Aleksandr Zakharchenko died in Donetsk downtown on August 31 in the result of the explosion.
Olena Alekseeva, Zakharchenko's spokesperson, confirmed the information on his death. Soon, a press conference will be held on this matter, reads the message on Mash, a Telegram channel.
This is what is known as of now:
- Aleksandr Zakharchenko was fatally injured during the explosion in the restaurant called Separatist in the downtown of Donetsk.
- Life, a separatist outlet reports that Zakharchenko died in the hospital in Donetsk.
- According to the sources of the Russian mass media, one of the guards of Zakharchenko is suspected of his murder. He disappeared from the scene. It is reported on the closure of all crossing checkpoints along the Inter-Entity Boundary Line, in order to search for the suspect.
- "DNR" reported on the detention of the Ukrainian saboteurs accused of the murder of Zakharchenko. The number of the saboteurs isn't specified yet. The State Security Service of Ukraine hasn't yet confirmed the information.
- As a result of the explosion, several more people were wounded. One of them is a so-called "minister of revenue and duties" of "DNR" Oleksandr Timofeyev ("Tashkent"). According to the RBK online outlet, he is in an intensive care right now.
- The Russian MFA accused "Kyiv regime" in the death of Zakharchenko.
'We have every reason to believe that Kyiv regime stands behind his death, which has been repeatedly using similar methods to eliminate dissidents and disliked,' Maria Zakharova, Official Representative of the Russian Federation claimed.
- SBU has reasons to believe that the death of Zakharchenko may be the result of the inner criminal conflicts among the militants, in the first place referred to reallocating grab assets, taken away from the owners in 2014-2018.
'We are not excluding the attempts of the Russian intelligence services to eliminate a pretty odious individual who was on the way of Russia, according to the information we obtain. According to the data, either the militants or the Russian intelligence services are standing behind this.'
- Russian Investigation Committee initiated a criminal case in international terrorism due to the death of Zakharchenko.
- Russian NTV TV channel with a reference to the information of mass media claimed that a serious head injury caused the death.