Former US President Donald Trump's five impeachment defense attorneys have left a little more than a week before his trial is set to begin, according to people familiar with the case, amid a disagreement over his legal strategy. This is reported by CNN.
23:55 14.06.2021 Day in Donbas: Two Ukrainian servicemen suffer shrapnel wounds upon stepping on explosive
20:23 14.06.2021 Ukraine to become NATO member via membership action plan, - post-summit declaration
Five lawyers leave Trump's impeachment defense team
It was a dramatic development in the second impeachment trial for Trump, who has struggled to find lawyers willing to take his case. And now, with legal briefs due next week and a trial set to begin only days later, Trump is clinging to his election fraud charade and suddenly finds himself without legal representation.
Butch Bowers and Deborah Barbier, who were expected to be two of the lead attorneys, are no longer on the team. A source familiar with the changes said it was a mutual decision for both to leave the legal team. Bowers assembled the team as the lead attorney.
Josh Howard, a North Carolina attorney who was recently added to the team, has also left, according to another source familiar with the changes. Johnny Gasser and Greg Harris from South Carolina are no longer involved with the case, either.
No other attorneys have announced they are working on Trump's impeachment defense.
A person familiar with the departures told that Trump wanted the attorneys to argue there was mass election fraud and that the election was stolen from him rather than focus on the legality of convicting a president after he's left office. Trump was not receptive to the discussions about how they should proceed in that regard.
The attorneys had not yet been paid any advance fees and a letter of intent was never signed.
- UKRAINE TOP 23:59Biden: Situation in Donbas does not exclude Ukraine's accession to NATO
- UKRAINE CRISIS 23:55Day in Donbas: Two Ukrainian servicemen suffer shrapnel wounds upon stepping on explosive
- RUSSIA22:44Explosion at gas station in Novosibirsk, at least 28 wounded
- SOCIETY22:30Euro 2020: Slovakia beats Poland
- POLITICS21:07Zelensky claims IMF demands "unfair"
- POLITICS20:23Ukraine to become NATO member via membership action plan, - post-summit declaration
- SPORT19:00Poland - Slovakia: Euro 2020 match online
- SOCIETY18:55Air Force of Belarus: Interception of Ryanair flight was not, MiG-29 fighter jet had another task
- UKRAINE CRISIS 18:53Putin states concentration of Ukrainian forces in Donbas
- SOCIETY18:32Bus accident in Romania kills two Ukrainians, two more in grave condition, - Foreign Ministry official
SOCIETY 3 September 2020, 15:48 Ukraine assigns funds to purchase Remdesivir to treat Covid-19
POLITICS 3 September 2020, 18:26 Lukashenko accuses Ukraine of interference in Belarus’ affairs
POLITICS 3 September 2020, 17:14 Lukashenko states to intercept secret talks of Merkel about Navalny