Feedback

Crimean resident accused of participation in 'Ukrainian battalion' sentenced to six years in prison

Source : 112 Ukraine

The prosecution requested 8.5 years in prison for Medzhit Ablyamitov
14:27, 24 March 2021

Open source

On March 23, a court of the occupied Crimea sentenced Medzhit Ablyamitov to 6 years in a strict regime colony with restriction of freedom for 1 year. The man is accused of participating "in the Ukrainian battalion," Radio Liberty reports.

The prosecution requested 8.5 years in prison for Ablyamitov.

On January 20, five witnesses were questioned in the case. One of them, Aydin Mamutov, previously convicted for participation in the battalion, said that he did not give the testimony specified in the witness interrogation protocol.

"On August 19, the Russian FSB claimed that it had detained a resident of the Kirovsky district of Crimea, suspected of participating in the" Ukrainian nationalist battalion", the message says.

The Prosecutor's Office of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea began criminal proceedings on the facts of illegal detention and search of a citizen of Ukraine.

Related: Armenian parliament abolishes martial law in the country

Ukrainian Ombudsman Lyudmyla Denisova said that the number of Ukrainians held captive in the illegally occupied territories of Crimea and Donbas is constantly growing and currently stands at 376 people. This was discussed in her video message to the participants of the 46th UN Human Rights Session, which she posted on her Telegram channel.

"In the temporarily occupied territories of Crimea and Donbas, illegal arrests and detentions continue. 109 Ukrainian citizens are illegally detained in the Russian Federation and in the temporarily occupied territory of the peninsula, most of whom are Crimean Tatars. 267 of our compatriots are illegally kept in the temporarily occupied territories of Donbas," Denisova noted.

She recalled that in 2014, Russia launched armed aggression against Ukraine and occupied part of its territories. Despite the ceasefire announced on July 27, 2020, the death toll of military personnel and civilians is constantly growing.

According to the Ombudsman, the coronavirus pandemic has further jeopardized the observance of the rights of Ukrainians in both the occupied and controlled territories.

Related: Ukraine opens FIFA World Cup qualification tour with game against France

Topics:
Система Orphus

If you find an error, highlight the desired text and press Ctrl + Enter, to tell about it

Comments
see more